Sunday, December 28, 2014

Top 10 Picture Books for Winter

Happy Sunday!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I definitely got some much needed rest and relaxation this past week. I traveled to visit family and was lucky enough to have a White Christmas! It was magical… but COLD! Check out the picture of Christmas morning...


 Today I wanted to share my top 10 favorite picture books for winter. There are so many wonderful books out there but here are my favorites to share with my class during the cold winter months…

10. Snowballs by  Lois Ehlert- I Love the collage illustrations in this book! It is so engaging and the students love the intriguing photo collages. It appears as if you could pick items right out of the pages!

9. Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester- This quirky and lovable penguin saves the day with his silly antics! I love the accompanying books in the series as well.

8.  A New Coat for Anna by Harriet Ziefert- This sweet story follows Anna and her mother through the  process of getting Anna a new coat. This is a great story for practicing sequence of events!

7. The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett- A great winter story from the one and only Jan Brett! This book is a winter twist on the classic Goldilocks and the Three Bears.



5. Owl Moon by Jane Yolen and John Schoenherr- This is a great winter mentor text when teaching descriptive writing and sensory words. It always gives me goosebumps when I read it.


4. The Hat by Jan Brett - Of course The Hat must be included in any winter book list!

3. The Mitten by Jan Brett- One of my all time favorites! This one is fun to read and do a hands on activity with stuffed animals and a mitten as you read. If you use the right mitten, the stuffed animals will fit! Great for sequence of events, too!

2. The Snowman by Raymond Briggs- The beautiful illustrations make this book one of my favorites! Of course this one is interesting because there are no words! Your students get to put their words to the story!

1. Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehnrer- This book also has beautiful illustrations. I love the creativity of this book. It gives you another way to think about a melting snowman. This book can be used for many art projects and is a great one to practice perspective.

I have shared many of these with my class already and I am looking forward to reading the rest with them after winter break!

Do you have other winter books you recommend?
Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea for a post! I love reading and it's great to hear about books that other people love! Thank you for sharing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm visiting you from the TpT forum link!

    ReplyDelete